Prayers, hymns and videos for Corpus Christi

 

About 750 years ago, Pope Urban commissioned St. Thomas Aquinas, one of the finest minds of all time, to write special prayers for a new feast day he wanted to institute: the feast of Corpus Christi (the Most Holy Body and Blood of Christ). 

St. Thomas was a prayerful friar, a contemplative man, and a brilliant and prodigious author and poet.  He wrote poems, songs and essays about the Blessed Sacrament which are still sung to this day.  (They have also been translated from his original Latin to almost every language of the world).

Here is a sampling.



==================

O sacrum convivium!

O Sacrum Convivium
in quo Christus sumitur:
recolitur memoria passionis eius:
mens impletur gratia:
et futurae gloriae nobis pignus datur.
Alleluia.
Translation of original Latin
O sacred banquet!
in which Christ is received,
the memory of his Passion is renewed,
the mind is filled with grace,
and a pledge of future glory to us is given.
Alleluia.

St. Thomas Aquinas' prayer of preparation before Mass

Almighty and ever-living God,
I approach the sacrament
of Your only-begotten Son

Our Lord Jesus Christ, 
I come sick to the doctor of life, 
unclean to the fountain of mercy, 
blind to the radiance of eternal light, 
and poor and needy to the Lord
of heaven and earth.

Lord, in your great generosity, 
heal my sickness, 
wash away my defilement, 
enlighten my blindness, enrich my poverty, 
and clothe my nakedness. 
May I receive the bread of angels, 
the King of kings and Lord of lords, 
with humble reverence, 
with the purity and faith, 
the repentance and love, 
and the determined purpose
that will help to bring me to salvation. 
May I receive the sacrament
of the Lord's Body and Blood, 
and its reality and power.

Kind God, 
may I receive the Body
of Your only-begotten Son, 
our Lord Jesus Christ, 
born from the womb of the Virgin Mary, 
and so be received into His mystical body
and numbered among His members.

Loving Father, 
as on my earthly pilgrimage
I now receive Your beloved Son
under the veil of a sacrament, 
may I one day see him face to face in glory, 
who lives and reigns with You for ever.

Amen.

- Saint Thomas Aquinas

https://www.ewtn.com/catholicism/devotions/prayer-before-mass-325

St. Thomas Aquinas' prayer of thanksgiving after Mass

THANKSGIVING AFTER MASS

Lord, Father all-powerful and ever-living God, I thank You, for
even though I am a sinner, your unprofitable servant, not
because of my worth but in the kindness of your mercy, 
You have fed me with the Precious Body & Blood of Your Son, 
our Lord Jesus Christ. 
I pray that this Holy Communion may not bring me
condemnation and punishment but forgiveness and salvation. 
May it be a helmet of faith and a shield of good will. 
May it purify me from evil ways and put an end to my evil passions. 
May it bring me charity and patience, humility and obedience, 
and growth in the power to do good. 
May it be my strong defense against all my enemies, visible and invisible, 
and the perfect calming of all my evil impulses, 
bodily and spiritual. 
May it unite me more closely to you, the One true God, and lead me
safely through death to everlasting happiness with You. 
And I pray that You will lead me, a sinner, to the banquet where you, 
with Your Son and holy Spirit, are true and perfect light, 
total fulfillment, everlasting joy, gladness without end, and perfect
happiness to your saints. grant this through Christ our Lord, 
AMEN.

https://www.ewtn.com/catholicism/devotions/prayer-of-st-thomas-aquinas-397

Panis Angelicus hymn - text


Panis angelicus
fit panis hominum;
Dat panis cœlicus
figuris terminum:
O res mirabilis!
Manducat Dominum
pauper, servus et humilis.

Te trina Deitas
unaque poscimus:
Sic nos tu visita,
sicut te colimus;
Per tuas semitas
duc nos quo tendimus,
Ad lucem quam inhabitas.
Amen.

Translation

Thus Angels' Bread is made
the Bread of man today:
the Living Bread from heaven
with figures dost away:
O wondrous gift indeed!
the poor and lowly may
upon their Lord and Master feed.

Thee, therefore, we implore,
o Godhead, One in Three,
so may Thou visit us
as we now worship Thee;
and lead us on Thy way,
That we at last may see
the light wherein Thou dwellest aye.
Amen











Popular posts from this blog

Our Lady Queen of Peace, pray for us!

New priests' ordination video